Proverb for Today
His own iniquities entrap the wicked himself, and he is snared in the cords of his sins. (Proverbs 5:22, MEV)
I love the word picture Solomon paints for us in today’s proverb.
Can you imagine getting caught in a trap you set for yourself? Tightly binding yourself up in a way you can’t undo? Neither of these scenarios make sense, but it’s something we are actively doing to ourselves.
By our wrong actions.
Remember that time you got caught in a lie? How trapped you felt? Or the time your anger had such a hold on you, it felt like you were tied up so tight you couldn’t breathe, let alone escape?
On a deeper level, without Jesus we are trapped, bound up in our sins, with no way we can set ourselves free. I’m so thankful for the freedom we find in His gift of salvation! Because of Jesus’ victory over sin and death, we know the highest level of freedom!
Our application today is simple.
- If you haven’t experienced the freedom from sin found only in Jesus, please contact me. I would LOVE to share with you how you can find freedom by accepting Jesus’ FREE gift of salvation!
- If you have accepted Jesus’ gift of salvation, share the message of freedom with those around you! How ridiculous is it for us to walk around free, seeing others struggling, bound up by their sin with no hope.
- Once you’ve been set free from sin, don’t keep setting traps for yourself! Avoid what’s wrong, live right, and enjoy the freedom that comes from living the way God intends us to.
Reflect and Respond
- What was it like when you experienced freedom from sin and accepted Jesus as your Savior?
- Who around you needs you to show them how they can be free from the bondage of sin?
- When was the last time you set a trap for yourself and fell in? How can you avoid setting this trap for yourself in the future?